Himalayan salt crystal lamps have been used for centuries for their reputed health benefits, but do they work? According to many health experts, salt rock lamps offer a myriad of health benefits.
Water vapor is always circulating in the air of any room of your home. This water vapor carries along with it allergens like dust, pollen, pet dander, smoke particles, and even bacteria and viruses.
Salt is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water molecules from the surrounding air. A large block of rock salt, like a Himalayan crystal salt lamp, is especially attractive to water vapor and its attached pollutants.
Once attracted to the salt lamp, these microscopic compounds remain on the salt and not floating in the air where you could previously breathe them in.
As Himalayan salt lamps slowly become saturated with water vapor they attract from the air around them, the heat from the lamp inside dries them, thus continuing the hygroscopic effect for as long as the light is on.
This heat also re-releases water vapor back into the air. Importantly, any airborne contaminants attracted to the salt lamp remain trapped there and will not become airborne again.
Occasionally, perhaps every few weeks, it’s good to turn off your salt lamp for an hour, let it cool and then gently rub it with a damp cloth to clean away trapped dust and particles. The rest of the time just leave it on and let it work to clean the air in your home.
Health practitioners in Europe, North America, Australia and Japan have been using salt crystal lamps extensively in their treatments for ailments such as snoring, allergies, sinus problems, to reduce asthma attacks, respiratory problems and to enhance the immune system.
Yes, Himalayan salt crystal lamps do work. They are a very attractive feature in any house, very safe, and can be used in every room in your home. For optimal results, your salt crystal lamp should be left on as much as possible.